Sunday 9 August 2009

More boxing



The box hinges were pretty straightforward but the finished article wasn't as good as it should have been so I decided to make a second box - this time in oak and maple. Daren puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of making the box well on this course and says it makes a real difference to the quality of the furniture you then go on to make so I figured a mediocre box would lead to mediocre furniture, which I have no interest in making whatsoever.


It just shows how the rosewood box taught me though. It took the best part of a month to make whereas my subsequent effort took only a week and looks a million times better.


Cutting the components



Ensuring everything's square in the glue-up



The finished box


Complete with oak liners

No comments: