Wednesday 20 January 2010

God, that's heavy...

Now for the really hard bit.

The plan is to upholster the chair and seat back but not over the frame so i had to build a seat box to sit within the frame around which the upholstery will fit. Building the side pieces wasn't difficult as I already had a template from the frame so it was just a case of cutting it 1mm smaller all round. The front piece, however, was a different story. The initial starting block had to be HUGE to accommodate the depth of the curve in the front leg. In fact, I had to glue up six pieces of 25mm birch ply to get sufficient depth. And that made it REALLY HEAVY too.





And then I had to shape it. Some of this could be done on the jointer but finishing the outside shape had to be done by hand. I could feel my plane dying a little more with each stroke as it tried to fight it's way through the myriad of glue lines that make up a piece of ply. In the end it caved as the blade chipped and I headed off to try and revive it. And then I planed some more. And then it chipped again. And again. And again. And then my arm fell off!

No comments: