Thursday 8 October 2009

A place to sit...

With the table now nothing but a distant memory, the last few weeks have been devoted to designing my next project - a reading chair. Definitely more complicated than the table! I arrived at what was to become the side elevation pretty quickly on paper. And then got stuck. And stuck. And stuck. And then I made a model. To say I 'made a model' sounds way more straightforward and successful than the process actually was. In reality it was a long and frustrating journey that had Daren sending me back and forth to redo various bits until I could have screamed.

Part of me was enjoying making the model while another part felt a bit like I was wasting 'making' time. A couple of weeks on I now realise how important the model making phase is - even more so in this case as I was essentially designing the chair in 3-D. With nothing but a side view on paper, the model had to represent the exact dimensions, look and feel of the final piece, only in one third scale.

No comments: