Sunday 5 July 2009

First up, apologies for the delay in posting over the last month. Bit of a family emergency that meant I had to disappear overseas for a couple of weeks. Before I left, I had just completed the tail vice on my bench - a pretty complicated job, as you can see from the number of components...



Then, once the pieces had been cut and fitted came the glue up. I almost had a catastrophe when, once the glue had been applied, one of the dovetails wouldn't hammer into place but Tim saved the day with a couple of almighty (manly) whacks with the hammer. Then out come the clamps to make sure pressure is being applied in all the right places until the glue dries.



And there you have it...



I'm really pleased with the way the purple heart has worked with the maple. I also used it to create the handle for the vice - which also involved creating a composite of the two and then using the lathe (another first) to shape the wood.



No comments: