Saturday 7 March 2009

Please don't stop the music...

To listen or not to listen? That was the debate this week in the Upper Benchroom (i.e. the upstairs workshop). The question being: should music be allowed in said workshop or not? My answer: a resounding 'yes' but what if not everyone has the same opinion? Is it a case of 'majority rules' (in which case, it would have been a 'yes' again), or 'all or nothing'? That's the dilemma we found ourselves in this week, resulting in a very grown up discussion and, some would say, compromise. Sure, you can stick a pair of headphones and an iPod on but then you suddenly find yourself in a world of your own, isolated from any conversation/discussion/cries for help when someone saws off a finger(!) Whereas, a bit of background music, the opportunity to exchange playlists thus introducing each other to new sounds, fosters a positive breeding ground to exchange thoughts and ideas about music and beyond. Just my humble opinion anyway. We'll have to see how it plays out.... all thoughts welcome

2 comments:

Feltbug said...

Hello - I just found your blog - I vote for music while you work - last year I rented a communal space without music which made me realise just how much I love to work in silence with music if that makes sense! I look forward to reading more of your adventures:)

Anonymous said...

Whistle while you work! Or rather, don't - and chose to listen to lovely music. There are times when music or any noise can be distracting, but that is usually on deadline! I vote for Music!