Sunday 15 February 2009

Cleanliness is next to....


on this occasion, a great mural!

Went to the launderette on Saturday – something I’ve not done for the best part of 10 years when, living in London, I was more than happy to take advantage of a service wash courtesy of Stella, a larger than life African lady, who regularly saw to my smalls. No such services on offer (or required) here but I did find a great little launderette in Torrington. I must admit, I went in thinking life is too short for this lark but came out an hour later thinking quite the opposite. Few activities offer the opportunity to just think for a while. That old cliche of just watching the machines go round and round... I'm sure the novelty will wear off after a couple more visits but for now, it's all good. And made even better by the great mural on the wall - an unexpected surprise.

Even more of a surprise came when about a dozen teenagers came through the door screeching at each other like some kind of bizarre mating ritual for the ASBO generation. Girls showing off to boys. Boys looking suitably unimpressed but actually revelling in the attention. I managed a fairly respectable ‘tut’/eyes to the ceiling (think Blanche a la Corrie) which they all ignored with even more panache. Marvellous.

No comments: